This is why you should never eat rice leftovers
There are many reasons to love rice: it is easy to make, it is delicious, filling, and also a wonderful addition to almost any meal.
It is one of the oldest cereals available, and is an important part of the daily meals of millions of people around the world.
But did you know that there are specific rules for preserving rice so that it can be eaten safely the next day, and if it is not preserved properly it can make serious illness?
Rice at room temperature
What you need to remember about rice is the way it is treated after it is cooked.
Never leave rice residue on the counter at room temperature for a long time. This is because rice contains a bacterium - Bacillus cereus - that can survive boiling, and if cooked rice is left for a long time at room temperature, this bacterium can grow and cause food poisoning.
Cool leftover rice
What is important to know is that this bacterium is heat resistant. So if rice leftovers stay at room temperature for too long, then the bacterium will remain even if the rice is reheated.
In other words, to avoid disease and food poisoning, it is important to quickly refrigerate cooked rice that you did not intend to eat right away.
According to Southern Living: "Cooking rice is very moist, which can be an excellent habitat for bacteria if left at room temperature for more than two hours. Take care and cool the rice leftovers immediately - whether by scattering rice on baking paper, or by inserting it in the fridge".
After that store the rice in a tightly sealed container or in a freezer container. Also, remember that all foods - not just rice - are better when refrigerated quickly. And this is because you do not want to give bacteria a chance to grow and flourish.
Please share this information with your Facebook friends so that they too can be safe when eating rice!