Doctors pulled living worms out of a 32-year-old man after eating this popular dish
Sushi has become one of the most popular dishes in the world. In the UK alone the market rolls over $100 million a year!
Sushi is usually delicious - but can also be very dangerous.
A 32-year-old man from Portugal, was enjoying some raw-fish rollers he had been served in a Japanese restaurant. He suffered from abdominal pain for about a week after eating the dish so he decided to go to the hospital for an examination.
With the help of an endoscope, the doctors have found what caused his stomach pains, which will probably disgust you completely. The man was infected with worms! And a number of worms had even begun digging into his intestines - which might have led to his death!
Raw fish, like sushi, can contain worms, and when eaten, they can cause a disease called Herring worm disease.
A severe case of herring worm disease can cause a severe allergic reaction and in some cases also become fatal.
Fortunately, the doctors managed to get all the worms out of the man's stomach, and he recovered after a short time. So if you choose to eat sushi, think twice, and do so in an orderly place with all the appropriate permits.
Symptoms of herring worm disease include nausea, vomiting, severe abdominal pain, diarrhea, blood in the stool, and fever.
And if that's not enough, some experts say people who eat lots of sushi put themselves at risk of mercury poisoning (which can cause heart disease and brain problems such as cognitive impairment).
The best way to prevent herring worm disease is to cook or fry the fish before eating it.