People laughed at them because they were redheads, but what this photographer documented changed everything!
What kind of world did we had if everyone looked the same, talked the same thing, were interested in the same things, and loved the same things that others loved. Not so interesting, right?
In fact, it is our difference that makes the world so interesting, which is why we are unable to understand why people laugh at people who are different from them.
Globally, redhead is quite rare. Researchers believe that 2% of the world's population are redheads, which may be why there are so many stories about them.
Throughout history, people have introduced redheads as vampires, witches, demons and all sorts of not-so-beautiful things. And unfortunately, some of these ridiculous descriptions seem to exist even today.
One person who got tired of the stigma about redheads is photographer Brian Dowling. He wanted to break the stereotypes people have about redheads - and set out on a journey around the world to document the redhead beauty.
Brian, who was born in the United States but lives and works in Berlin, Germany, photographed 130 redheaded women from 20 different countries.
The result is just as amazing as you can probably imagine - and Brian's Instagram page, with 64,000 followers, is just beautiful! Here are some of Brian's best photos:
1. Bobbie from London, England
2. Georgia from Bolzano, Italy
3. Madeleine from Washington, USA
4. Wilmigen from Breda, Netherlands
5. Betty from Belfast, Northern Ireland
6. Daria from St. Petersburg, Russia
7. Nabila, from Damascus, Syria
Yes there are redheads in Syria. ? When my photo project went viral two months ago, Nabila's friend in Syria wrote her to get in touch with me. With a little bit of luck we were able to meet in #Berlin as Nabila is currently studying dance in western Germany. #redhai #redhead #darklips #lipstick #nosering #syrian #arabicgirl #neukölln
8. Sophie from Edinburgh, Scotland
9. Vanessa from Johannesburg, South Africa
10. Bianca from Prana, Brazil
11. Alyssa from Los Angeles, USA
12. Gracie Essence, Ireland
13. Maria from Moscow, Russia
14. Alina from Kiev, Ukraine
15. Carmen from Amsterdam, The Netherlands